Student of the Year Award
The Student of the Year Award is now closed.
Every year, the European Federation of Food Science and Technology (EFFoST) organizes the ‘Student of the Year Award’ competition to support and encourage the next generation of food scientists. The award is organized in collaboration with our partner Cargill.
The competition is open for all MSc and PhD students in Food Science or Food Technology in Europe (see regulations for eligibility criteria). Six shortlisted nominees will have free access to the conference, including hotel and travel costs. In addition, the final winners will receive a visit to Cargill’s European Research & Development Centre in Belgium where students will have an opportunity to interact with Cargill technologists and scientists.
To enter this competition, MSc students have to submit an abstract of their final thesis and PhD students have to submit an abstract of their research. The deadline is June 30, 2017 (see application procedure for further details on how to apply).
What’s in it for me?
The MSc and PhD Student of the Year Award consist of the following prizes:
All awarded students will also receive:
- Of course the ‘EFFoST Student of the Year Award 2017’
- An official certificate
- Free access to the 31st EFFoST International Conference and Conference Dinner
- A travel budget of maximum € 1,000 to attend the 31st EFFoST International Conference
- A visit to Cargill R&D Centre Europe in Vilvoorde (Belgium) including a travel budget of maximum € 1,000
The EFFoST Student of the Year Award is open to those who were registered as a MSc or PhD students at a European University or College* in the academic year 2016 – 2017 or MSc students that have completed their degree in the period July 2016 – June 2017. Students must have been registered in a degree program in Food Science and Technology or similar. Part-time students are not excluded.
Step 1: submit your abstract (according to the guidelines for abstract submission) by using the online abstract submission system of the 31st EFFoST International Conference. Don’t forget to tick the box “Student of the Year Award” when the option is provided**.
Step 2: Fill in the online application form (will open March 31st) with the accompanying documents (see below) before June 30th 2017.
Application should be accompanied by:
- Your motivation letter
- Your curriculum vitae
- Conference abstract
- Copy of your student card or student registration
- Nomination letter (not mandatory)
Submit your application by e-mail before June 30th 2017.
For more information contact Jeroen Knol at: SOYA@effost.org (Please do not email credit card information under any circumstances).
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and 150 years of experience. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Through our approach to community involvement, we support programs that focus on improving food security and nutrition, education and environmental stewardship. Our focus on supporting education includes programs and projects that improve access to primary and second education; build skills in science, technology and engineering; and partnerships with higher education institutions in the areas of agriculture, food security and food safety. Cargill is proud to work together with EFFoST to support and encourage the next generation of food scientists.
* A University or College in the following countries: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (COST Cooperating State), Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, fYR Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City.
** There is no obligation to register for the conference. In the case that your abstract is accepted for oral or poster presentation you will get an invitation to register for the conference. The six shortlisted nominees will be informed on time to register for the conference and plan their travel as their presence at the conference is mandatory.